Thursday, April 22, 2010

We're Adjusting

We're adjusting to life with 3 one day at a time. Overall the transition is going a little smoother than it did from 1 to 2 kids. I think we're more laid back about the newborn baby craziness and thankfully Anna sleeps about as well as you can expect from a 3 week old. I can't believe that next week she'll already be 1 month old! She's growing and changing every day. We see some resemblences of Catherine and of Will, but I think she mostly looks like Jay.

We're thankful for friends who have come over to play (they're playing with Eddie in this picture) and for lots of beautiful weather and time to play outside. And we're still making it to church, preschool, and even story time at the library. There isn't the option to just sit still at home once there are 3 of them.




Catherine and Will really are handling things well. They love Anna and are relatively patient with me while I nurse or she cries. Dinner and bedtimes seem to be the craziest time of the day, but we're learning that it's okay for people to just not take baths any more!

Jay and I are a little bit tired, as anyone with a newborn is. The other night around midnight, Anna was crying. This is her fussiest time of the day from 10pm until 12 or 1am. So while she was fussing, Catherine woke up crying because she had a nightmare. She cried so loudly that she woke up Will. So at midnight, all 3 of them were up and crying. Jay went in to console Catherine and she asked him to say a prayer for her. Jay started to pray, and poor Daddy, he was so tired that he said he couldn't think of her name!! I thought this was hilarious. He didn't forget the name of the child who has only been here for 3 weeks; he forgot the one who's been here the longest. But he said some sort of prayer that helped her calm down and go to sleep!
Will's manifestation of the transition is that he now totally freaks out about taking a bath. The only way we can get him to take a bath is if Jay gets in the bathtub with him in his swimming trunks and Will stands up. He totally melts down and starts crying about the "water coming up to get him". We have no idea why he started this, but we hope it gets better soon or he's going to be really dirty this summer :)

Catherine is a really big helper to me. It's crazy how dependent sometimes I am on a 4 yr old. She will go get me diapers, burp cloths, and clothes for Anna. She'll sing her "Jesus loves me" if she's crying, give her a paci, and try to console her. And she was excited yesterday to tell me that when she and Anna grow up, they can get married and go to each other's weddings. I'm so glad they're sisters!

So that's how our life is these days....a little tired and crazy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I really am living my dream life being a wife and mommy and taking care of my family every day.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love this update. Thanks for your honesty. I laughed out loud when I read about Jay forgetting Catherine's name!

Poor Will in the bathub ... if it makes you feel better, Judah currently has an unreasonable fear of teakettles. Ours whistles SUPER loud and I didn't hear it right away when I was drying my hair one day, so I went out the kitchen and he's in his chair screaming. :( Now he falls apart every time we use the teakettle! It's hard being two ...

Unknown said...

Umm, yes. Sweet Anna looks exactly like Jay in my opinion! Let's hope she gets his dancing skills too. :)

Glad you are hanging in there. I can't wait to visit in May!

Mrs. SBA said...

Betsy! I love your blog. I have been meaning to write a new post about our 'adjusting' but it by no way compares to yours! What a trooper you are :)