Will is very much in full swing of the Three Year Old "Testing of the Limits" and "I Want to Be Independent but I can't Do It Myself" stage. He can do many more things than I sometimes give him credit for and he gets frustrated that I try to help him. But then when I don't try to help him with something, he gets frustrated that he can't do it himself. Either way, he usually ends up angry, screaming, crying, and/or having a tantrum. Add to the mix that we still have a hard time understanding some of his speech and that only multiplies his frustration. Poor kid...I reassure him daily that we really are doing the best job that we can. I'm not sure if he believes me!
Today when I picked him from preschool, his teacher told me he had a hard time following some of the rules today. (Last week he had a hard time keeping his hands to himself and hit a few kids.) I asked him tonight if he got put in time-out today. He said, "yeah, actually two times" (well, at least he's being honest here.) I asked him why he got put in time out. He said, "I threw the hammer. And I not remember why else the other time." "Will, did you disobey the rules?" "Oh yeah, I stand on the Lego table and jump off." They're seemingly "little" things, but he knows when he does these things that he's testing his limits. He turns to see if you're watching and what you're going to do about it. So we're trying to be consistent and enforce the limits--lovingly yet firmly. Perseverance and Patience are my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment