Monday, November 12, 2012

The Great School Debate

Long before Jay and I had children, we discussed/debated/argued about what we would do for school. We both grew up attending public schools (although there weren't really other options in either of our hometowns). I taught in a private school and enjoyed a lot of the advantages that had to offer though. I also feel more of the need to shelter and protect and keep them close, while Jay is more open to worldly exposure and failures so that we can teach and guide them through that while they are still home with us. I think both sides of this argument have very legitimate concerns and issues and we both kept arguing for our side for years. 

Catherine attended a private church-based preschool and we did keep her there for kindergarten. After exploring many options for "big school" and lots of prayer, we felt like God was confirming that we should enroll her in our public school. She is adjusting well. It was a little overwhelming to go from a small preschool to a large school of 800+ students. And this is a new experience for our family, so we're figuring it out as we go. I think Catherine gets frustrated if we don't know how certain things work at school because a lot of kids in her class have older siblings there and already know the routine. But she's our oldest and gets to be our guinea pig :) By the time James and Elizabeth get there, we'll have this all figured out!

One thing that has been helpful is the Learning Community classroom. There is a 1st-5th grade group of classes that can move the students for math and reading based on the skill level. They evaluate this for different units and at different times of the year based on teacher observation and testing. Catherine is currently in the 2nd grade reading class and that has brought an extra challenge for her that is encouraging. Her first grade teacher is also fantastic and allows the children a lot of flexibility and opportunities for learning based on their individual styles and personalities.

The sweet child's least favorite subject is P.E. She is her mama's child. She cries most Weds nights and Thurs mornings because she is terrified her PE teacher will give her a test and she might not be able to catch the ball or something. It's her greatest area of weakness at school. Hey, you can't be good at everything, right?

I still have moments (or days) when I want to keep her home, shelter her more. It's hard for me every time I drop her off to watch her walk into school. That's our little girl, and she seems vulnerable to walk into that big building by herself. But I have to be careful not to project my fears and insecurities onto her. To keep her here would ultimately be because of my needs, not necessarily what is best for her. I it's a little step of letting go and trusting God. She is his daughter more than mine and I have to trust that He knows what is best for her. I'm also trusting in Jay's leadership in this area and I respect his decisions and wisdom immensely. 

Here are a few cute pics from the school carnival. It was about a month ago but I forgot to post them.
Her anticipation of the carnival night was intense. About like waiting for Christmas morning.
It's exciting to watch her grow up and learn new things. We are very proud of Catherine!








No comments: