Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back to school.

All 3 big kids are back in school. Catherine started about two weeks ago and is in second grade. So far this year has been an easier transition than last year since she was more familiar with the school and her classmates. She is in the Learning Community again this year, which is a cluster of 1st-5th grade classes. The teachers can move students into different groups for writing and math based off of ability, not grade level. She really likes her teacher and is even riding the bus home this year! 
Anna is in K3 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She was very excited to discover that she gets to go EVERY Tuesday and Thursday, not just this week. She gets really excited about packing and carrying her lunchbox. 
Will is in K5 this year. He says that he is not excited about it but I think he will really enjoy it. He's soooo close to reading on his own and I think with the focused effort and encouragement from his great teacher that he will "get it" really soon. He's also really good at math and can do addition and subtraction very easily in his mind. 
If you have children in school, you know how many papers and projects they bring home. It's hard to decide which ones to keep and where to keep them. So far my system (which I actually start when they're two) is to create an envelope for each child for each year. I will eventually get a large plastic box or tote for each child and put their envelope for each year in there. I keep the envelopes close to the kitchen so that I can easily add a paper or picture to them on a daily or weekly basis. I love to look back and see how their handwriting has changed or how they colored. I also add notes they write to us, special papers from church, etc. 
And this was our back to school shopping supplies. That's a lot of glue and pencils!!

No comments: