Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Truth #1

This past year my Mentor Moms Bible study did the book Lies Women Believe (by Nancy Leigh DeMoss). The book focused on lies and deception that women often believe about God and themselves, even though we usually don't realize what we believe. Satan has very cleverly deceived us in so many ways. Each of the "lies" was countered by The Truth of what God says through His Word (the Bible). At the end of the year, some of us said that we were going to study these truths again through the summer. Well, it's the end of June and I just did Truth #1 this past week (and I think there may be 22 of them). I figure if I post them, it will help hold me accountable to going through them all. And I figured it may be a help someone else also.

So here's truth #1: God is good. That sounds simple enough and most people would say that they believe this. But it's very easy to think you agree that God is good when you're healthy, you have a job, your marriage is going well, you have the exact number of children you want when you want them, etc. But do we still proclaim that God is good when you have cancer? lose your job? get a divorce? have an unexpected pregnancy? a miscarriage?

"The truth is, regardless of our circumstances, regardless of what we feel, regardless of what we think, God is good and everything He does is good." (DeMoss, pg 254) Psalm 119:8 says "You are good and what you do is good; teach me your decrees." Psalm 136:1 "Give thanks to the Lord for he is good. His love endures forever." Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (also see Psalm 100:5, Psalm 106:1, and Romans 8: 31-32)

Right now I'm in a season of life that I consider to be pretty good. I have a wonderful husband, 2 beautiful healthy children. We have a nice home, good friends and family, great church, etc. But would I still praise God in the same way if all of these things were taken from me? I pray that He will use this "good" season of my life to prepare me for times that may not be as easy. We all know that we will have trouble in this world (John 16:33) but He has overcome this world. So I pray that I will be so rooted and established in His love that this Truth will flow from my lips, even when the trouble comes. For God is good. His love endures forever. Praise the Lord!

No comments: