Friday, May 13, 2011

Catherine's Art Show

Catherine took an art class this semester at the CAT studio and loved it! No surprise there :) She was so excited every week to go and learn new techniques and be creative. Although she did say her favorite part of art class each week was when she had "free art" and could draw whatever she wanted to in her sketchbook. Last night her class had their art show so we could view everyone's creations. It was so fun to see the creativity and work of 4-8 year olds.

Catherine's sculpture is on the right--made from wood, pipes, fabrics, paints. They worked for about 6 weeks on this piece and did it all themselves, even drilling holes in the wood. On the left is her horizon painting, one of our personal favorites. (and it only took her 15 mins to do it!)
On the right is her line drawing. They used some kind of doodle cars (I'm not exactly sure what that is) to draw lines and have intersecting points. Then they were only given a few paint colors--red, green, yellow, a little white and a little black. And look how colorful and creative this huge painting is. Her teacher said it was a lesson in perseverance to do such a large piece.

Catherine's personal favorite is her watercolor still life of a vase of flowers. They have these great watercolor crayons that then turn to paint when you wet them. This was her favorite activity of the entire semester.
And my other personal favorite is her Expression Face. They could paint a face with any kind of expression they wanted. She said this person is scared and screaming. I think it's great!!
We've already signed her up for two art camps this summer and I'll try to be as creative as I can to encourage her passion. I always wanted to be artistic and creative, but I am so thankful God gave Catherine this gift. It's so much fun to see her express herself and her imagination through her drawings and masterpieces!

1 comment:

Melissa Derr said...

How AWESOME!!! We would to commission an original Catherine V. Hatten work. We could hang it in our living room :) I'm totally seriious. Can't wait to see more!