Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering Ten Years Ago


Ten years ago today, I started my first day of classes for my senior year at Furman. I was in a biology class at 9am and didn't know until later that morning about the attacks at the World Trade Center. I remember going to lunch in the dining hall at 11am and they had TV's set up for everyone to watch the coverage. Coming from my limited-world perspective, I really didn't know how to process this. I remember sitting down at the table beside my friend Beau and asking him to give me some perspective on this. He told me it had changed the world, how big of a deal it was, and filled in some missing pieces of the puzzle for me.

I remember the slight panic that took place the rest of that day and week, even with things like gas. My roommate Marianne and I went to the gas station that night and filled up our cars, just in case gas wasn't available a few days later. I remember talking with Jay (who was in grad school in KY) and missing him terribly, wanting his comfort and assurance. I remember placing flags and prayer cards by the fountains at Furman, coordinating a blood drive, and collecting donations for a 9/11 scholarship--the feeling that I had to do something but had no idea what to do.

Ten years later and the images still shock me, especially of the buildings collapsing. Ten years later, and I'm still amazed when I hear stories from that day--of survivors, of lost loved ones, even of Northwestern's amazing response financially to those involved. Ten years later and I'm struggling to explain this tragedy to a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old, who are mostly concerned for children who may have been there and the firefighters who were there. Ten years later and I know my God is still in control of all things.




No comments: