Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Snapshots of School



Here a few quick snapshots of school from conversations we've had with the kids in the last week:

1. Catherine: "What I really want to learn at school is take-away. I already know how to do addition, but I guess since everyone else doesn't I'll have to learn it again. I mean, I know how to add; like I know that 10 + 10 = 20. I don't even have to count on my fingers or anything."

2. Today was Will's first day to do carpool, when I drop them off and they walk in by themselves. (teachers are on the sidewalk of course.) What I overheard last night: Catherine: "Will, do you want me to walk you to your class tomorrow since it's your first day of carpool? And I can help you put your lunchbox on the shelf if you can't reach it." And today, from Will: "Mama, Catherine helped me to my class and gave me a hug too."

3. #2 is much better than last week, when I dropped Will off. I gave him a hug goodbye at the door. Anna then ran into the classroom to the dress-up box. I went to get her and then left, apparently without telling Will goodbye again. About 3 mins after I'm in the car, Will's teacher calls and says that Will is upset that I didn't tell him goodbye. A crying Will gets on the phone and I reassure him of my goodbye and how much I love him. I hang up the phone feeling guilty mommy syndrome, wondering if I should turn the car around and go back to hug my little boy.

4. Mommy: "Catherine, what's your favorite part of school?" Catherine: "lunch" She's definitely a Hatten!

5. Mommy; "Will, what's your favorite part of school?" Will: "shooting bad guys on the playground." He's definitely a boy!

6. While saying prayers the other night, Catherine said she wanted to pray for school. I asked her if there was anything specific and she said to pray that she would learn to color faster. Our sweet diligent girl is so detail oriented that she can't color the whole picture perfectly in 10 mins and gets upset about it.

We're glad the school year is off to a great start and thankful for our wonderful school!

No comments: