Friday, January 4, 2013

Christmas Catch-up

Okay, so I know it's already January, but I"m still catching up and recovering from Christmas. I just took the wreaths off the windows this morning and installed the last batteries in new toys last night. Isn't Christmas a 12-day celebration anyway??

Regardless, here are a few more pics from Christmas and then I'll move on to 2013!

On Christmas Eve, we attended our church's Christmas Eve service and then had a yummy Christmas dinner at Mimi and PopPop's. We were very thankful that Melissa, Andy, and Marshall (Jay's sister, husband, and son) were able to be here all of last week. Our kids love playing with Marshall, especially Anna. And it's an impressive feat that Mimi was able to find coordinating outfits for 6 children, boys and girls, ranging in sizes from 6 months to 7 years. We had to document that with a picture :)

Christmas Eve is probably my favorite part of the Christmas celebration. I love the anticipation and spending time with family, without being overrun by toys and gifts. It's one of the more simple days of Christmas and I love reflecting on Jesus's birth.




On Christmas morning, we had some very excited children. Especially Catherine and Will! Will had a slumber party in the girls' room so that they would all be together. They woke up at their usual 6:15am. We told them that we wanted to read the Christmas story in the Bible before we went downstairs for gifts, and Will suggested that we read Jesus dying on the cross. I actually think it's perfect. Without the cross, Christmas would just be a celebration of a baby. But with the cross, it's the celebration of the birth of a Savior. So I think we started a new tradition for Christmas morning.








The kids had a great time seeing their Santa gifts and opening gifts from us. Santa even left Marshall his gifts here too, so Mimi and PopPop and Melissa, Andy, and Marshall came over that morning.

On Christmas afternoon we headed to Union to be with my family. I think my pics from that are on my phone. It was wonderful (and crowded) to have all of my family together for Christmas--my mom, grandma, my Dad, Kay, Kelly, Kevin, Riley, Jasper, Amanda, Bill, Maddyson, Brooklynn, Kennedy, Logan, April, April's sister Ashely, Mr. B and the 7 of us. Now that's a lot of people! Total chaos but great!! We spent the night at my dad's and headed back to Greenville the next morning. We did Christmas gifts with the Hatten's that afternoon, in shifts around babies' and kids' naps.

The babies both ended with croup during the middle of all of this too. I had to find a pharmacy open on Christmas day to get James some medicine. He sounded terrible, poor little guy. And by Thursday night/Friday morning, Elizabeth had it too. I took them both to the dr on Friday and it took a few days for them to start feeling better. I think the medicine (predisone-like) made them feel pretty off for a few days. They weren't napping and were grumpy. It was pitiful.

Between the chaos of Christmas and the house being turned upside down and two sick babies, Jay and I were near the end of ourselves. I am thankful for this week to be getting back to "normal"--just the normal chaos, I guess!

No comments: