Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bedroom Options

After re-doing the bathroom, I wanted to update the bedroom some too. It is being painted a tan color next week to coordinate with the tile (the largest of the color swatches painted on the wall by the window). I also wanted to update the bedding and curtains. We've been using my quilt from college and the curtains from the people who lived here before us. But now I'm having a hard time deciding which bedroom option I like.

My initial bedroom idea that gave me my inspiration colors for the bathroom were the curtains below (Vanessa blue from Pottery Barn). It's the same blue background as the bathroom walls with a tan/orange/reddish floral pattern. I've always liked these curtains. I also picked up the matching shams (although you can't really see them very well in this pic) and was thinking of leaving the rest of the bedding a calm ivory with blue accents, maybe even throw in a little orange or something. So that was my plan.
But then I went to the PB Outlet last week and they happened to have a quilt there that I really like too in the same blue color. They also had the blue silk dupioni drapes (some of which I've always wanted). So I got this whole ensemble too.
Now I have two complete sets and have to decide what to keep and what to return. The lady at the PB store says you usually want your pattern on the bed and to keep the curtains simpler since the bed is the first thing you see when you walk in. In that regard, I agree that the 2nd option probably looks better. But I really like the fabric of the first option, so I keep just changing them back and forth to try and decide which to keep. Any opinions?

3 comments:

Jones Family said...

How fun! I actually like the 1st one better I think...b/c I love a crisp white bedding look. With the tan walls, I think you'll be happier for a longer time with the non-pattern on the bed. Or you could just keep both ensembles and switch them out from time to time for a fresh look. Can't wait to see it all in person soon.

Betsy said...

I think Jay prefers the first one. He said the other one looks too fancy and even elderly! (i disagree about the elderly part, but it does look fancier) really, i'm just tired of making decisions after all of this stuff. i don't know how you'll do it with your whole house, Taryn.

Melissa Derr said...

my opinion - i like both options. i didn't really think of "elderly" until jat said it but now that he did, i sort of agree. my next thought was that the first option needed another pop so what about a dust ruffle in either the matching floral pattern or the orange? i liked the pop of the 2nd option but i think if you popped the 1st option a little more then that would be the better one. understand? :) STILL working on the pictures - love to all!