People are constantly asking me what it's like to have twins (and 3 other young children). How am I? Are they sleeping? Am I nursing? How are the big kids handling it? How's Jay? and more questions. So here are a few answers from our first month:
Overall, it is good. Really good. We love these two little ones so much and can't imagine not having them here with us. I feel immensely blessed when I look at them. At the same time, it is challenging. It's a lot of work to have 5 small children. There are lots of diapers, dishes, and laundry. Lots of "mommy, watch this" and "mommy, where are you?" and "mommy....mommy....mommy" And two of them can't even talk yet!
There are times when both babies are sleeping peacefully and the big kids are playing well together and I think "This isn't hard at all." And then about 20 mins later, both babies are crying and want to be fed, the big kids are screaming and hitting each other, the dog needs to go out the bathroom, the phone is ringing, someone spills a drink on the floor, someone needs help wiping in the bathroom, and someone else wants me to watch their newest acrobatic skill of jumping on my bed while I nurse. Then I think "oh my goodness. I can't do this. I may lose my mind." So there's some of both. In the crazy moments, I try to tell myself that within 20-30 mins it will probably be calm(er) again.
The babies are eating and sleeping well. They eat about every 3 hours during the day and 4-4 1/2 hours at night. I am nursing both of them and that is going well. My supply seems lowest at the end of the day so I've been taking Fenugreek (herbal supplement) this week and that seems to be helping. I would like to hold off on giving them formula for as long as possible.
They are gaining weight well. James weighed 9lbs 6oz and Elizabeth weighed 9lbs 8oz today at their dr's checkup. He's catching up with her! They generally go to bed around 10 at night, get up around 2ish to eat, and then wake up again around 6ish in the morning. They have gotten much better this week about going right back to sleep after eating during the night, which is super helpful.
They both had their first baths a week or two ago.
Here's little James
and my bath helpers
Here's Elizabeth getting all cleaned up
They also had their first play date. Jill brought Wyatt over and Sara brought Sophie one morning so we could all visit. It was a morning of nursing and diaper blow outs and fun conversation.
Jay is doing well. He says it is going better than he had expected, but I think he really enjoys his quiet times in his office during the day too :) He is very appreciative that I can walk again and am getting back to my normal self.
I made our first big outing with all 5 this week. I took them to Anderson to play at the Cothran's for Eddie's 5th birthday. Lots of fun and birthday cake and art projects and silliness. It was really good for the big kids to have a day somewhere else. Overall they are doing well, but are a little stir crazy from being home so much this summer.
Here's the birthday cake (that Julia ate before it was time for cake!)
Happy one month sweet babies!! We love you so much and are excited to keep watching you grow!




3 comments:
Glad everything is going so well. I read Loving the Little Years that you recommended and it was a great read and helped me put things in perspective. Who do you think James and Elizabeth look like?
Sweet James doesn't look like a grumpy old man any more!! I need to come hold a baby sometime!
Summer--I think Elizabeth looks a lot like Anna did as a baby and James is more mix of Catherine and Will. Sarah--he isn't quite as grumpy. He has even smiled at me a couple of times this week!!
Post a Comment