Wednesday, March 20, 2013

you don't want pictures

I have no exciting pictures from this week. If I had taken pictures of things in our home this week, you wouldn't have wanted to see them. Our house has been hit hard by the stomach virus. It is going around our town like wildfire. I seriously think people are getting it just from reading friends' facebook status updates or driving past a group of children while in their car. It's crazy. Here's a brief synopsis of our last few days:

Saturday: While having friends (who do not have children) over for dinner, Will gets sick. I'll spare you the details but it was terrible. We had to ask our guests to leave. And it continued to be terrible every 20-30 minutes for the next 5 hours. Catherine hyperventilated and made herself sick by being anxious that she might get sick during the night.  I "slept" in the hallway upstairs most of the night to help Will and be close by in case anyone got sick.

Sunday: We spent the morning staring anxiously at each other and wondering who was next. Will, however, jumped out of bed at 7am and was quite chipper all day. I was a bit tired from being up with him all night. How was he not tired?? By Sunday afternoon, both babies were having bad diapers. Catherine declared that she didn't feel good and spent the afternoon in bed. By that night, she was sick. Thankfully her sickness wasn't quite as traumatic as Will's.

Monday: We all stayed home and I changed the babies' diapers ....a lot. Poor babies. I was scheduled to teach something in Catherine's class at school, so Mimi came over to watch everyone while I was gone for an hour. Catherine and Will were much improved; babies not so much; Anna was totally oblivious to it all.

Tuesday: Babies had a really rough day. By 11am, I had given James three baths and changed his clothes and all his bedding twice. Elizabeth was doing only slightly better. Thankfully the big kids were feeling better, but were now being clingy and demanding because all Mommy had been doing for three days is cleaning up after sick people. By 1pm, I put them in the car and drove to Zaxbys to get myself something to eat and a sweet tea. Will declared that it wasn't fair, but too bad. We drove around for 15 minutes just to see the sunshine and get out of the house. I just cleaned the babies up, again, once we got back home. On Tuesday night, we went to Mimi and PopPop's house for dinner, although we were still all a little scared to eat.

Wednesday: Mimi calls at 7am to say that she has been up sick all night. Uh oh. I'm still paranoid and can't tell if my stomach hurts because it's sick or because I've barely eaten in almost 4 days. I'm surviving on protein granola bars and goldfish crackers, just to be safe. Big kids are all fine, but the babies still have upset tummies. By the afternoon Elizabeth made it a few hours without a blowout and James was slowly improving. By 4pm, Jay was home because he was getting sick. He's now downstairs suffering through it.

Please add into each of these days the following phrases: "do laundry", "do more laundry", "clean bathrooms", "clean bathrooms again", "change sheets", "wash bedding", etc...

Somehow, so far I've avoided it. I have no idea. Only by the grace of God because I don't know who would be taking care of these people otherwise. And Anna, we aren't sure if she has avoided it or if she started it. She had an upset tummy last Thursday.....we didn't think much about it at the time because she never complained about feeling bad, but now it seems a likely culprit. It would be very Anna-like to be sick and not actually let us know she felt bad at all.

Sorry for the gross post. I know many of my friends are reading this in complete understanding because it also tells the story of their week. I'm not listing these things out to complain or whine. It's just normal life, especially when there are lots of small children in the house. I'm thankful that it hasn't been any worse and that I have been able to take care of all of them.

But I'll spare you any pictures from our house this week. Maybe next week.

No comments: