Thursday, June 13, 2013

Morning Bible reading

I am enjoying summer mornings of having a more relaxed breakfast (well, as relaxed as it can be with five kids). It gives us some extra time to incorporate some morning Bible reading into our routine. To be honest, I have intentions of this year round, but it usually doesn't happen on school mornings when we are  running behind, packing lunches, and getting everyone ready. 

I am currently using a little book that I really like. It's in a series called Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers. This one is about Scripture. There are also books on the trinity, the gospel, and the mission that I would like to get and read eventually. 

Each page has a couple of sentences that concisely explain an aspect of scripture. For example, today's reading was about how the Old Testament points to Jesus. At the bottom of each page are 3 or 4 scripture references. There are usually Old Testament and New Testament references. I like that they don't print out the verses because it is giving the kids good practice to find books in the Bible and look the verses up themselves. 

The book isn't necessarily intended to be used as a daily devotional. You can easily read the book just like you would a story book as well. But I'm enjoying just taking one page each day for our summer breakfasts.  

No comments: