Sunday, July 7, 2013

7--a book worth reading


I just finished reading this book: 7: an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker. I stumbled across her when lots of people began reposting one of her blog entries about being the worst end of school year mom ever. It was pretty funny! It even landed her a quick segment on the Today show. 

So I was reading around on her blog and started looking at the books she's written. I thought this was an interesting concept. She picked 7 areas that she feels like we as a culture overindulge in and did a type of "fast" from each one for a month. For example, clothing. She picked 7 items of clothing and only wore those 7 items for the entire month. Or spending. She picked only 7 stores to spend money at for the entire month. You get the idea. 

Here's the synopsis on her blog about 7:

7 is the true story of how Jen (along with her husband and her children to varying degrees) took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence. In the spirit of a fast, they pursued a deeply reduced life in order to find a greatly increased God. 




I think she's so spot-on in many of her observations of current cultural Christianity and the church. I think most of us don't know how to abstain or fast or suffer to create any room for God to speak to us. She is very challenging. Think Radical¨ by David Platt (which you should read if you haven't.) I long to see believers stepping out in faith, questioning some of our culturally accepted practices, and glorifying our Father in Heaven. And that I'm praying about what that means for me too.

Read it and let's talk about how the Spirit may be challenging you.


1 comment:

Mrs. SBA said...

Wow.. how cool that you mention this. We had our small group Bible group tonight and that was one of the things we talked about. We just started a different book but I want to read this one for sure!