Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The great itch of my summer

I have poison ivy. This is my second round of it and I've basically had it for six or seven weeks straight. There was one brief week in between episodes when I didn't itch. Otherwise, I've been itching and crazy since around May 20.

This second round has me covered from my neck to my knees. All over. That's apparently what happens when you get it on your hands and arms and then go change clothes to run and sweat while you run and don't shower for a few hours. Everywhere I touched to change clothes and everywhere my running sweat went is covered in itchiness. 

I went to the Dr 10 days ago and got a shot of cortisone and took prednisone and used a steroid cream. I've taken aveeno oatmeal baths and used essential oils.  It hasn't cleared it up. So I headed to an allergist today who put me on a much stronger and longer dose of prednisone (which he told me will make me grumpy and fat...great!) and also prescribed a different steroid ointment and stronger antihistamine. I'm praying that this helps because good grief, I'm tired of itching!

 I know it's not life threatening and I feel humbled when I think about a friend my age who is undergoing chemotherapy or when I think of so many people around the world who suffer from far worse ailments without medical care. So I should really complain? Probably not. Have I complained? Yes. 

As much as I love yard work, I may avoid pulling any weeds for a while!



2 comments:

Mrs. SBA said...

I would definitely be complaining. So sorry for you! The last time I had it really bad was when we went on TWB! It was on my scalp, ears and everywhere. I hope it clears up soon!

Betsy said...

i have thought about all those people on TWB who got it. somehow i was one of the few who managed not to have it it all (so i mistakenly have assumed my entire life that i'm not allergic to it!)