Friday, November 14, 2008

Conversations with a 2 (almost 3!) year old

I love talking with Catherine. And she apparently loves talking too. She does a lot of it. I love hearing what she thinks and how she interprets things, remembers thing, and questions things that I would never think about. I thought I'd share just a few of her fun comments from the past few days.
  • She was very concerned about Mimi (Jay's mom) going to the hospital for her surgery. She didn't really understand what the surgery was for, just that Mimi had a boo-boo in her tummy. When she talked to Jay's mom on Thursday morning before she went to the hospital, she told her that if she didn't cry, maybe the doctor would give her a lollipop.
  • She was also confused about the fact that Mimi was staying at the hospital. After a couple of quiet minutes of thinking about that this morning, she looked at me with the most serious look on her face and said "Does her doctor have beds there??"
  • Catherine has a very caring and giving heart. She loves, loves, loves to color so she keeps coloring people pictures. These are usually Northwestern post-it notes that she scribbles on with a Sharpie. (Why do I give her a permanent Sharpie? I have no idea.) Today she took a note to her "teacher" at the gym nursery. She also colored a note to give the checkout girl at Moe's tonight. She told her that was her money and she was paying for dinner.
  • In the car yesterday, she was being quiet for a few minutes and I could tell she was thinking pretty hard. She finally said, "Mama" (she now calls me Mama instead of Mommy) "Jesus is in my heart". I told her that's right and that Jesus loves her very much. Then she said, "But Jesus is in heaven right now. One day he'll come get us and we'll go to heaven too." I again told her that's right and that it will be really exciting to be with Jesus one day. Then she asked "Is he coming to get us in a school bus? I really like to ride in school buses." Who knows? Maybe Jesus will come in a school bus :)

That's just a quick snapshot of the conversations from the last 24 hours. If you want to hear more, just come hang out with her for a day. She's a fabulous girl.

No comments: