Friday, March 25, 2011

Miss Madeline the Potato

Catherine's class is having a potato pageant today. I think it has something to do with St. Patrick's day and they're studying root vegetables. Our job was to dress up a potato. Catherine thought this was great and has been talking for weeks about what she wanted to do with her potato. She finally narrowed it down to a baby, an old man, or a bunny. So yesterday I told her we had to pick and she said old man. So I went downstairs to get some fabric to make him a nice little vest.

But then she saw the flower material and decided she'd rather have an old lady. So we made the old lady potato a dress, complete with buttons. We used extra buttons for facial features and some string for a mouth and hair. She was also required to have a sash, so Catherine wrote her name on that. (Although the permanent marker wrote through the fabric and it now says Madeline in permanent ink on the kitchen table. Anyone know how to get that off?) I have no idea why she thought Madeline was the perfect name for a potato, but by this point I was tired of dressing a potato and ready to be done. She said, "Why aren't you having fun, Mommy?" as I was getting grumpy. Oh my little crafty girl, this is the one area of life where we are very different!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Use straight alcohol to get out ink. If that doesn't do it, try magic eraser. By the way, the potato is cute.

brookebrownell said...

that is hilarious!