Okay, so when I first learned about Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) a couple of years ago, I was smitten. I read her blog, bought her book and cookbook, even tried a few recipes. I occasionally still use some of her ideas, but it's not a daily obsession of mine any more.
It is, however, now a daily obsession of Catherine and Will. They love her cooking show. We record it on DVR and they routinely watch it at 6:30 in the morning. Catherine loves to watch her cook and Will really likes to see the cowboys and horses. Catherine has also been inspired and wants to "cook" things. This week she made a graham cracker/honey/chocolate/sprinkles snack (it wasn't too bad) and some kind of chocolate "ice cream" which was mostly green food coloring. Even she wouldn't eat that one; although she did say it would be good for St Patrick's day because it turns your teeth green.

Tonight she begged me to cook one of the recipes from the cookbook. It didn't matter which one. Any of them. Although she didn't ask me this until 6pm as I was pulling leftovers out of the fridge. So I promised her that this week I would. Then she told me that Ree has a new cookbook and could I please buy it and cook her something from it. I told her she could get it for me as a birthday present :) Then she asked if we could look on the computer for some of the recipes. The sweet child has the web address memorized from watching the show and knew exactly which recipes she wanted to look at.
I'm guessing that Catherine hasn't figured out yet that I don't love to cook. I like to eat; therefore I cook. But spending hours in the kitchen every day is not my idea of enjoyment. And I guess if my children keep comparing me to her ("Mom, Ree would have made this from scratch."; "Did you know that Ms. Ree makes her own butter?"; "Everything Ms. Ree makes looks fantastic.") that they may continually be disappointed. Oh well, I promise I won't let them starve :)
No comments:
Post a Comment