Friday, October 5, 2012

Out to dinner

Last night Jay had some late afternoon meetings in Charlotte and wasn't going to be home until 8pm or so. That meant I was on my own with all five for dinner, bath, and bedtime. I decided to take them all out to dinner--by myself--so that they wouldn't be weepy about Jay not being here for dinner and I wouldn't have to clean up the kitchen.

I was a little fearful that the babies would both be crying and someone would spill a drink and someone else would need to go to the bathroom and someone else would complain about their dinner. That's how it has been some nights lately at home.

In order to make this a successful outing I did a couple of things:
1. I gave them a choice about where we were going to eat (at home being one of them). I also only gave options that I knew I could manage. So even though it was spirit night at chickfila for Catherine's school I did not make that option to dine in, only drive thru. I know my limits people. They picked to eat at schlotzskys.
2. We practiced what was going to happen and what I expected from them. This includes getting on shoes and going potty before we left the house. This also includes deciding in the car what they wanted to order so that I wasn't standing there trying to figure that out with 3 kids telling me various things while people impatiently wait behind us. (turns out I need to decide ahead of time because I'm the one who stood there the longest to order!)
3. I gave them very specific instructions about when to get out of the car, whose hand to hold, which white line to stand on, who should hold open which restaurant door , etc. and I told them they were responsible for keeping each other safe. Will especially likes this role of protecting his sisters.
4. We practiced our table manners of sitting and using napkins and taking turns and being patient.
5. I highly praised them for their good behavior and obedience. I told them when they behaved so well and were obedient it made me want to take them places more often. So they suggested we go out every night:)

We had a lot of people stop and comment on how many kids I have and how well they were behaving. I thought about it a lot after we left the restaurant. I don't want to be prideful that they did so well. Goodness knows that they have many nights that aren't this way.

But I do want them to be an example to others that children are a blessing. So many people look at us with some weird pity because of the work and responsibility and chaos of having five little ones. And it's true that it is a lot of work. But there's also a whole lot of joy. And if someone can catch a glimpse of that through well behaved children and a mama who truly enjoys them at a restaurant, maybe it will soften their hearts a tiny bit.