Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas tree reality

Jay has this dream that our family will go to a Christmas tree farm, hike up a mountain, cut down a beautiful tree, sleep in a cabin, and bring home a glorious Christmas tree.

So far, it hasn't happened. One of my criteria to attempt such an adventure is that everyone can walk up and down the mountain on their own. We are not carrying a Christmas tree, and a saw, and children up and down a mountain.

Here's more what our Christmas tree adventures currently look like: Jay took Catherine and Will to the Christmas tree lot set up next to chickfila while I was home putting two crying babies to bed and bathing Anna. Catherine and Will picked out the most beautiful tree they've ever seen in the dark . (Too bad they haven't seen many trees for comparison.) Jay and I got the tree in the stand and in the house later that night with minimal discussion.

The next day I decide to put lights on it, except we need more lights. So Catherine, Will, and I go to Walmart. This is enough to cause me stress at this time of year. The only lights they have left are colored lights. So we buy 600 colored bulbs. The kids are thrilled. While we are there Catherine picks out this really amazing $8 light-up star because she does not like the pretty bow I usually put on top. We make it out of Walmart without me losing it, barely.

Lights finally get put on the tree that afternoon while babies nap, somewhat haphazardly with the help of a zealous 5 year old. Two days later we all put about 1/2 of the ornaments on after dinner while 2 babies are crying and spitting up. The beautiful fresh Christmas tree sheds needles all over the floor from small hands' gentle touches.

The next day Will, Anna, and I finish putting ornaments on the tree. The tree continues to shed its unwanted needles. We also decorate a small tree for Will's room and a pink one for the girls' room. They are festive and crazy. The trees and the kids.

I add 7 stockings underneath the tree, because I can't find enough stocking hangers to put them on the mantle. I can't believe we have so many Christmas stockings.

So, no mountaintop Christmas tree experiences here. But I am perfectly okay with that. These are the Christmas memories we will remember and long for.

And don't worry Jay, we will go to the mountain and cut down a tree and stay in a cabin one day. Maybe just the two of us.







No comments: