Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Truth #14

Truth #14 from Lies Women Believe is I will reap whatever I sow. The choices I make today will have consequences down the road in my life and in the lives of others for generations to come. Every sinful, selfish choice is sowing a seed that will reap a multiplied harvest. Every act of obedience, however, is a seed that will produce a multiplied harvest of blessing in my life and in the lives of those I love. The harvest may take a while, but it will come.

Galatians 6:7-9 "Do not be deceived; God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest is we do not give up."

This is one of those truths that we like to say, "sure, that's how it works" but we don't really like to think through it. To really think about how my selfishness and my disobedience will affect not only myself, but my husband, my children, my grandchildren, and others around me puts a huge responsibility on my shoulders. We prefer to think that we can just live in our own little bubble and that our obedience and disobedience only affects ourselves (if we even acknoweldge that our disobedience affects us at all). But I have seen this played out too many times. I have had consequences in my life of the generations before me. And conversely, I have had blessings in my life because of generations before me.

I'm just now getting to be old enough, I think, to really start seeing how my own obedience and disobedience is creating a harvest in my life. It does take time, and we tend not to be very patient. We live in an "I want it now" society where any type of delayed gratification or delayed blessings are not deemed worthy of the wait. But they are. There is something very sweet and very precious about seeing blessings in your life that have come about through long periods of trials, suffering, prayers, and the pursuit of holiness. To walk with God through those times and then see His fruit in your life makes it all worth it.

No comments: